I am adding this category to my website because this is a second passion of mine. I have a heartfelt desire to reach out and minister to other pastors in a supportive way. I have been privileged to lead three different churches over the last 27 years. One for two years, another church plant for seven years, and the last for eighteen years almost to the day. Each church was a different size and had differing “personalities” as a corporate body. Each was a precious body of believers in a local congregation called the “Church”.
I understand the incredible power of tradition. There are good traditions which give a church an individual identity and there are legalistic traditions which can choke the life right out of a church and you. These “traditions” that hinder the move of God must be dealt with in great wisdom, Word, and Holy Spirit empowerment if you are to break-through to the next level God wants you to attain.
I know the incredible highs of ministry and the incredible lows. I have been on the mountain and I have walked some deep dark valleys. I understand the outward look of strength and perseverance may not always match the “fear and trembling” we still have on the inside as we try with God’s leading to shepherd the flock of God entrusted to us. The words of Paul have comforted me on more than one occasion:
1 Corinthians 2:3 (NASB95)
3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling,
Here are some things I have learned and that we will deal with from time to time:
- No one understands pastors better than another pastor but you need to “look up” the ladder if you want to progress.
- Pastors are also “people” who deal with many of the same issues of their congregants, we just don’t want them to know.
- People expect you to be God for them not understanding the best you can do is lead them to HIm.
- Everything that glitters is not gold, the sooner the “stars” fall from your eyes the better.
- Jealousy and envy fill our ranks. (You know it and I know it, so lets deal with it. It keeps us from a kingdom unity!)
- The grass is never as good across the fence as we thought it would be. (Just multiply the challenges by the size church.)
- Fear of “exposure” or “weakness” isolates us from getting the real help we need at times.
- The devil is seeking to operate at every level of your church, from the nursery to the board room.
- Few of us volunteered for this ministry, most of us understand the “calling” was actually a “draft” we could not refuse.
- THERE IS NO HIGHER PRIVILEGE IN THE KINGDOM OF GOD THAN THE CALL TO MINISTRY so let’s do our best with the Holy Spirit’s help to be the best we can be body, soul, and spirit.
Finally for this post, I intend to be incredibly transparent with you. I’ll not give you my innermost thoughts because those belong to the Lord and the Lord alone. The sooner you lean that concerning yourself, the better. Some things only you and God need to know. However I do intend to be transparent with you concerning my pastoral life. The best pastor’s conferences I have been to are not the ones where the super stars got up and taught us how to be like them, but rather the ones where the leaders of small, medium, and large churches GOT REAL in their struggles with “the calling”. These are the men I am drawn too. This in some small way is what I offer to you.
One more thing, I will put no reply post on the website. You may contact me personally to let me know what you think about this or to ask questions. Email me at KingdomWordToday@gmail.com.
I am for you in your kingdom work!